Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Marketing My Soul

Today, I used the word "proverbial" in a press release about kid's summer camps.

What can I say? You can only write so many articles about the "bigger picture" behind golf tournaments and bird watching before you want to poke your eyes out. And given the fact that I have still maintained my vision, I obviously haven't reached that point... yet.

Don't get me wrong. I love my job. I'm given assignments and opportunities most interns dream about, but there comes a point when I want to write something that matters, something that makes a difference.

Yes, I know that's what everyone says.

I can sell you a house, convince you to put your 6-year-old in a triathlon training camp and persuade you to eat at a newly renovated clubhouse that focused on repurposing old materials to save you money, but can I do more? Can I make you question parts of your life? Can I make you laugh so hard you pee a little bit?

I'm not even sure I want to do that. But I know that every now and again I need a break from marketing my soul. I want to be able to use words like transcend, manifest and proverbial without being told to "dial back the language."

If I dial it back much more, I'm going to be writing like a third grader or half my former classmates.

Whether or not I could be a serious writer is not even really a serious question. Could I? Sure, why not? Do I want to do that? I'm not sure.

What I do know is that just once in my life I want my words to wash over someone, carrying such emotion and intensity that they have to close their eyes. I want to make them feel the same way I do when I listen to the mandolin solo in "When I Come Back Down" by Nickel Creek.

But I would settle for making someone laugh so hard they pee. Whichever.

No comments:

Post a Comment