Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sometimes It's Just Time

When Eric Church's new album, Chief, hit the airwaves I knew it was going to be my new obsession.  Per usual, I was correct. And given my previous confessions on the subject, you, fair readers, are aware that my obsessions are no joke.

While the entire album is repeat worthy, there is one song, "Springsteen," that has taken a particularly strong hold on my heart.



I'm not sure what it is about this song, but it causes a very strong feeling of nostalgia. For some reason I can't quite figure out the source of my nostalgia. After much thought (and wine, of course) I think I've come to the conclusion that maybe I'm missing something I never had.

I was the type of person who could never find their place in high school, in the teenage persona. I've always been told that I have an old soul and that was true then as well. So I spent my mid to late teen years trying to be older than I was.

I worked multiple jobs, dated college-age guys (or older) and graduated high school a semester early. I was so ready to be an adult that I never allowed myself to be a child. I think that's why the song hits me so hard.

"Springsteen" personifies the experience of young love and the power of a carefree teenage existence.

After two years spent in an emotionally draining "adult" relationship I have realized how much I missed out on. I'm always mentally five years ahead of where I should be socially. I know it sounds crazy, but this song has helped me see the changes I need to make before I lose all chance to enjoy my youthful years.

Thank you Eric Church. I also enjoy your song "Drink In My Hand." With my recent revelations safely in my back pocket, I think that song might be my new life mantra.

Not really. But it's still a rockin' good song.


1 comment: