Friday, July 22, 2011

Ode to Marketing Jargon

I love my job - really, I do. I'm good at marketing real estate. I could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves. But there comes a point in every person's career when they've done too much of the same thing. Today is my day.

If I write the words feature, accentuate, accent or encompass one more time today, I might scream.

I live in a downtown apartment with street parking and bars on the window, so pardon me if I don't care about your powder room featuring Onyx, a crystal backlit sink and a custom-cut mirror all accented by crystal and copper fixtures. My apologies.

After a long day of marketing moderately to insanely priced homes, I don't care to describe how your melodious laughter resonated through the winding, marble tile hallways onto the covered lanai. Sorry.

And mostly, I'm tired of thinking of ways to spin an article so it sounds more interesting than it is. Why can't I just write about things that are already interesting? Is this a test of my abilities? I hope not, because if it is, I'm ready to tap out.

So marketing jargon, I beg of you - leave my soul alone, let my vocabulary expand and allow me to write about things that matter. But until you release your grasp on my mind, I will continue to taunt you with brilliant ideas and slightly snarky phrases.

End rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment