Monday, July 25, 2011

Peter Pan and a Glass of Wine

There comes a point in every writer’s life when they have to ask themselves a difficult question – what do I want to tell the world with my writing?

After much soul searching, contemplation and wine, I have come to the conclusion that I have no freaking idea what I want to tell the world. I’m 23 years old, I haven’t exactly lived a life full of experience yet, so what could I possibly have to say that would be worthwhile?

The irony is not lost on me. I am writing in an open forum (i.e. my internet driven blog) on a weekly basis about how I don’t know what to say. I get it, but just go with me here.

If you follow this blog then you’ve probably noticed I’m slowly becoming bitter about writing marketing jargon. But I also don’t love creative writing either -- hence my conundrum.

I’m not going to be an award-winning novelist. I could be, but the chances are slim. And I can’t market houses and golf courses forever because clearly I would become “that girl” at work if I did. You know the one I’m talking about, don’t act like you don’t.

It’s times like these that I ask myself a question much more important than any other – why the heck am I paying $30,000 a year to get my master’s in writing if I don’t know what I want to write about?

Sure. I will probably figure that out throughout the course of my studies, but that’s a rather expensive risk to take, don’t you think? My bank account certainly thinks so.

But I suppose I should look at it like this. I’m going to be in graduate school forever (or until March 2013) so why not utilize this opportunity to be Peter Pan? I can drift and try new things, perhaps find a gang of lost boys along the way -- could be fun.

It’s safe to say these will be the only years of my life that I’m given license to do whatever I need to do in order to get wine in the glass… I mean put pen to paper.

So I think the answer I’ve been searching for is the one I found – I don’t know what I need to say to the world. But if I allow myself to relax and play Peter Pan for a bit then I might just find the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment